Gauss Law problem

Physics Questions? Ask them here!
feradote

Gauss Law problem

Post by feradote » Wed May 30, 2018 2:40 pm

I wasn't too sure about Gauss Law or how to use it effectively. This is the problem.

a proton is a distance d/2 directly above the center of a square of side d. What is the magnitude of the electric flux through the square? (Hint: Think of the square as one face of a cube with edge d.)

I don't really get how to start this problem .

jeff
Site Admin

Re: Gauss Law problem

Post by jeff » Wed May 30, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi feradote,
feradote wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:40 pm
I wasn't too sure about Gauss Law or how to use it effectively. This is the problem.

a proton is a distance d/2 directly above the center of a square of side d. What is the magnitude of the electric flux through the square? (Hint: Think of the square as one face of a cube with edge d.)

I don't really get how to start this problem .
For this problem, it's best to start with the hint they give. You have a proton in the middle of an imaginary cube. And Gauss's law tells you how much total flux is going through all the sides of that cube, right? because you have the enclosed charge and you know the value of the constant epsilon_0.

(total flux) = (enclosed charge) / (constant)

Phi = q_enc / epsilon_0

So go ahead and calculate that total flux, and then decide if the problem is symmetric for all six faces of the cube. Is the amount of flux going through each face the same?

Does that help? Please let me know if you have more questions.