direction of electric field

Physics Questions? Ask them here!
jmalemulje

direction of electric field

Post by jmalemulje » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:54 pm

A negatively charged particle moving at constant speed from right to left enters a region of space where a uniform electric field exists (see figure). Once the particle enters the field, it slows, momentarily stops, and then moves back out of the field from left to right along the same initial path. What is the direction of the electric field?

I take the initial velocity to be towards the left and the final towards the right for negative particle. Using the equation F = q E shows that force and electric field are opposite for negative particles. The force is to the right since it gets pushed that way. What I get is that the electric field is to the left.

Is this alright ?

jeff
Site Admin

Re: direction of electric field

Post by jeff » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi jmalemulje,
jmalemulje wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:54 pm
A negatively charged particle moving at constant speed from right to left enters a region of space where a uniform electric field exists (see figure). Once the particle enters the field, it slows, momentarily stops, and then moves back out of the field from left to right along the same initial path. What is the direction of the electric field?

I take the initial velocity to be towards the left and the final towards the right for negative particle. Using the equation F = q E shows that force and electric field are opposite for negative particles. The force is to the right since it gets pushed that way. What I get is that the electric field is to the left.

Is this alright ?
Yes, that's all correct!

jmalemulje

Re: direction of electric field

Post by jmalemulje » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks for checking it out.